Monday, November 24, 2008

Read about Literary Magazines in Missouri Review

Reading the Newpages blog and they had a great note on one of Missouri Review's literary mags--it's a magazine about literary magazines. They talk to editors about the state of the art in lit mags. I ordered my issue. I'll be curious to see what they say about issues of print vs. web. More and more, I'm turning to websites to publish because the wait time with print is so long. I love seeing my work in print, but one thing I've found--I've said this before--is that telling friends, students, coworkers they can find your work archived on-line is really rewarding, especially when the work you've gotten published is some of your finest. When I sent my story "Stories I heard when I went home for my grandmother's funeral" in to Storyglossia, I had no idea he'd nominate it for a Pushcart, but I did know that I liked it well enough to send it without any input from my writing group. There's a job posted for Northwestern College, which is in Orange City, Iowa, on that newpages.com blog, too. I could go back there and teach creative writing. Orange City is an all Dutch town (or mostly). It really is a throwback to another time to go back there. Oh, I miss it all.

2 comments:

Jean Womack said...

Hi Jamey,
I hope you and your family have a happy Thanksgiving. I see you are still out there. I'll be eating at a local church, like I usually do. I like all those old fashioned religious ideas, like love, forgiveness, friendship, etc. We don't get enough of that these days. There's room for you and your family there too. Michael said he needed time to do his art work. I wouldn't even let him walk me to my car. Donna and his classmates did not even want us to have a conversation. Sorta like being in jail when you can't even have a conversation with your college classmate, huh? It's supposed to be a place to make friends. I walked to my car by myself for 30 years at that college.

I have been going to "Michael's" for art supplies. It's a great place.

Jean

Jean Womack said...

Do I have stock in Michaels that I don't know about?

Jean