Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Girl Scout Cookies

Ayeee, I am overwhelmed with fat and sugar--GSCookies. Impossible to eat just one. BUSY grading those Great Gatsby essays, reading work from the writing class, and figuring out how to do an on-line signature for the FAFSA for my daughter's education. I say live at home and eat the parent's food and get free room and board, but independence is knocking. Not much new on the lit scene--I went to a reading by the USF alumni and was very impressed and entertained. I especially liked a story about a woman in a recovery type place. I'm reading Alice Munro's View From Castle Rock. At first, I didn't care for it, but once I got into it, I started enjoying it, appreciating the sense of history blended with story. Still trying to finish Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns. This is not to disparage the quality of his writing--I'm just a short story reader. I am looking for several novels to read this spring and summer and am thinking of writing a novel, always thinking about that, but I think I'd need an MFA program to get it done. Every time I read a novel, I start thinking about writing one. Glad the primaries are winding down (or are they). I am not married to either Clinton or Obama, but I am worried about McCAin getting into office after hearing him speak on the radio today. It didn't sound like he'd be in any too much of a hurry to get us out of Iraq. or look into diplomatic and communicative ways to solve our country's issues in the Middle East. SCARY!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

have you looked at The Gathering? by anne enright? novels for the summer, etc. it's a tight short read but very rich. i find her voice compelling.

Jamey Genna said...

No, I'll keep my eye out for it. What is it about?

Unknown said...

it's a british/irish author. won the booker prize this year...i could care less about that, but i think she really deserved it. i started reading it based on a ny times and sf chron book review....it's been midway on the best seller lists.

it's about a family that is fractured that gathers for a funeral, the narrator's brother's, who has committed suicide. i felt like she was talking to me when she wrote, like we were having a conversation ( vs. "it spoke to me")

she's only released in paperback.

Jamey Genna said...

I like that title. The Gathering by anne enright--I'll look for it. I finally bought Atonement and want to read it before I see the movie, nothing worse than seeing it first (except for This Boy's Life, which led me to read it). Is this Kate from class?